Tuesday, June 07, 2005

First week of MTC

Well, we're officially one week into the Mississippi Teacher Corps. So far, I've enjoyed the experience, although it's been a very tiring one. Last Thursday was our first day in the classrooms as student teachers. I didn't expect to teach that day, but the classroom teacher let us break into small groups and discuss that day's text. Since then, we have received a lot of experience with the students. In fact, the classroom teacher is new, and we're all (she and the MTC members) tackling the course as a team effort.
In the classroom, there have been a few stubborn students, but as a whole they seem to be well-behaved. I realize this is only a taste of what our experience will be like in the fall, but I am looking forward to the task. In Mrs. Monroe's class we watched a video the other day about two schools, one of which was in the Mississippi Delta. I know the video was probably enlightening to all of my classmates, but it was more than just enlightening to me. Many of my classmates see the problems in some of Mississippi's schools, but for me it's a bit different. Mississippi is home for me, so it hurts to know that parts of my own state are still enduring such inequalities. Watching the video reminded me exactly why I am still here, and why I want to produce change (even if I can only affect one life at a time). After participating in class, student-teaching, and learning more about schools in the Delta, I know I am exactly where God wants me to be at this point. I've been blessed, so now it's time to give back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

Aaron,
Wow! I am so glad you are in the Corps. Your "First Week" blog made me realize how dedicate you guys are to making a real change. I am also glad the video touched you in some way. I was hoping it would have that impact. Thanks for sharing your reaction. I am looking forward to reading more of your reflections.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home