Sunday, June 12, 2005

Students First

So far, everything inside the classroom has been what I expected. I can see where I have been a positive effect in the classroom, but I can see many flaws in my teaching. The other day, one of my fellow student teachers was in charge of the lesson, and she did a great job. She had the passion and effect of a motivational speaker, and I kept thinking that I need to learn a lot from each of my fellow Teacher Corps members. I want to be like a sponge this summer, because I know enough to realize that I don't know everything...
Speaking of knowing everything, there have been several interesting conversations in and around class lately. A lot of people are discussing their views concerning issues such as corporal punishment and sex education. Maybe it's just me, but I really think we need to be focusing on the most immediate issue--becoming effective teachers and role models. People are coming here with these big ideas, (it's good that they are passionate and want to impact Mississippi's educational system in a positive way) but I think we all (myself included) need to exhibit a bit of humility and realize that there is a lot that we don't know. Let's just take some time, get into the schools themselves, and eat the elephant one bite at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home