Friday, December 02, 2005

The Effects of Extracurricular Activities

Extracurricular activities-- a good idea, right? Well, maybe only in some aspects. Simmons High is undefeated and playing the North Half Championship in football as I am writing this. This is great, but I am more curious about the benefits and consequences.
I would argue that sports and clubs are beneficial to student life. It gives students something to look forward to, and it also motivates many of them to strive for the best in all endeavors (not simply sports). I am impressed by the leadership qualities of students such as the well-known Jeffrey Altman (one of the best running backs in the state/ Mr. SHS). He impresses me in class because he knows how to keep his fellow students on track when the get a little out of hand. He also respects my decisions, knowing that they are fair, even if they sometimes end up hurting his grades. I think that football has contributed much to his behavior and leadership qualities.
However, there are problems that come with extracurriculars. First, not all athletes show such positive qualities. Many of them come in with the idea that everyone owes them something. In addition to the athletes, the school tends to take things a little too far. We have lost many hours of class time to pep rallies, cheers, students gone with the band, etc. The focus of school should be on education, then extracurriculars.
So how do I feel about sports and clubs? I love them. We must find the balance between the classroom and the football field, but I think that they can peacefully coexist. GO BLUE DEVILS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home