Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"That's just the way it is"

Over the past two days, we've had discussions with former Delta/Jackson students and current Delta/Jackson administrators. First, I'm not one of the people who believes I can change everything in a day. I understand that my first priority in MTC is to TEACH, however I am a bit concerned about what I saw as a common belief among some of the administrators and former students--the idea that concerning sex education (and the lack thereof), segregated schools, etc., THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS. I'm from Mississippi, and I don't think (especially with regards to administration) that this is acceptable. I know that I'm just a first-year-about-to-be-teacher, but what about the people that have been in the schools/communities/governments for years??? I'll agree not to rock the boat for now, because I have enough to deal with being a new teacher. However, the TJTWII mentality is a major reason why things are the same, and why Mississippi is on the bottom of many lists (especially educational and economic issues). I'm tired of complacency in my home state, and WE (all of us) need to wake up and realize we are making progress, but that in itself should not and will not suffice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home