Monday, June 19, 2006

Online Course

Right now, we're taking an online course as a part of our 2nd year MTC requirements. I thought the class would be one showing us how to use various forms of technology, but apparently it's not. The class basically discusses ways of reaching our students, and ways of helping them to become effective learners. The class is better than what I initially expected, but it sometimes feels like busy-work. The book we are reading has some interesting points, but it also has quite a few boring parts. It's good that we are becoming more effective teachers, but I expected to learn more about using technology (with a hands-on approach). At the end of the course (and our other course), we are expected to come up with a multimedia project. It seems weird that we are not really receiving a whole lot of instruction on how to use the programs to do that.
In addition, the class was split into two sections, one for one-month workers, and the other for two-month workers. I chose the first option, and I'm glad I did, even though it requires more work right now. I would hate to still be working on these assignments during July.
I like the discussion board we use, and maybe the program will eventually replace the blogs with them ( it seems more effective for us as teachers). The class has some benefits, but I think we're all just tired from working both months last summer, having a full school year, and doing more work now. Oh well, you only have to do it once, right?