Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Dose of Reality

I know we’re only supposed to write about school (and school-related activities), but I think that your feelings in your personal life tend to have an effect on your performance as a teacher, so here we go…This year has been a roller coaster emotionally, and I think others will agree that it’s hard to bring your “A Game” everyday. If I could do that, it would remind me of the time Michael played one of his best games ever with the flu. Everyday people can’t really do that. You’re supposed to put on your teacher face and leave all of your issues at the door. I had teachers in high school who did that, and now I’m really impressed with them. It’s hard enough being in a new place with a new career, but it seems like trouble somehow comes even when you’re trying your best. I think it’s good that I’m starting fresh in Jackson this fall…hopefully I’ll be little older and a little wiser. To the incoming class, don’t expect to be Superman. Sometimes you have to just be human. There have been days when students could tell from just looking at me that something was wrong. Although they misbehave a lot, you can tell how much they really care at those moments. They are willing to go out of their way to make sure you’re okay. That’s probably one of the best parts of teaching…you always have those students who see you as more than just a teacher. I guess it kind of works both ways though. Last week a boy asked me how to deal with a breakup. He said this was his first time being in love and the girl (who had an abortion, as another student told me) decided she doesn’t want him anymore. Now the boy is thinking of moving to Jackson to go to Piney Woods, but he isn’t sure what he should do. I told him to keep his head up, and understand that since he’s a good guy someone will eventually be there to treat him right. I know my pep talk only half reached him, but I hope that he has enough confidence in himself to know that he deserves only the best. I explained that sometimes bad things happen to good people, and you really can’t do anything about that. It’s a dose of reality, harsh reality, but he’s gonna have to get it somewhere. All I can say is good luck to him and good luck to myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

Teaching is the only job in the world where you are expected to be an expert on the first day.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP 1995 mitsubishi eclipse

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home