Sunday, March 05, 2006

My Reward

A reward that I have successfully used in my class is current events/culture Fridays. If students are well-behaved we take a day in English class to discuss national and international news events. Although many of the students don’t usually watch the news, some do. Having the discussion in class makes many of the students realize the relevance of the events to their own lives.
Meanwhile, I have also developed culture Fridays for my Spanish classes. This started out as a reward, but grew into what I view as an essential part of the class. On Fridays, we discuss news articles from the Miami Herald and other sources. These news articles are about what is happening in the social and political world of Latino and Hispanic cultures. Students really enjoy these days because they provide a break from the monotony of everyday language work. Meanwhile, it is important because students are provided a real world context for the language they are learning. The students see first-hand how the language is being used throughout the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home