Saturday, December 10, 2005

What Would I Teach?

In my first year of teaching, I have been assigned to teach 3 classes of English III, 2 classes of Spanish I, and 1 class of Drama. An odd combination, right? I have thought about this and I realized that, if given the chance, I would narrow this down to 1 or 2 of these.
First, I would definitely get rid of Drama. I never took this class in high school or college (and I never had a desire to), but I was assigned to teach this class or Oral Communications (I didn't want to teach it either--it was a class broadcasted to another school). Hopefully, we will get a couple more English teachers next year so that we can change the situation.
What about English III? I love literature. Some days I feel that I could be perfectly content teaching only English III. However, sometimes I think that my love of books doesn't necessarily translate into a desire to teach literature. As a become a better teacher, I will be able to judge my desire better.
Meanwhile, teaching Spanish I has been quite an experience. Each day is exciting, but it takes an incredible amount of energy to teach even one class. I'm not sure what I would feel like teaching a whole day of Spanish. If I had new textbooks, it's possible that I could function teaching only Spanish. Because there is never a dull moment, I could see this as a definite possibility.
After weighing the possibilities, I am not sure which direction I would go if given the choice. I would be okay with teaching English and Spanish, but I would (at this particular moment) love to try being just a Spanish teacher. I guess the needs of my school district will dictate what I teach in the immediate future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home