Saturday, December 10, 2005

First Semester

I have almost finished my first semester of teaching, and I think I have learned a lot. Obviously, there are things I could have done better, but I think I have been successful in teaching my students. Next semester will be better, and I will feel a lot more prepared going into next fall.
I see many mistakes that I made, and I plan to correct them next year. First, I failed to plan sufficiently (long term plan). I think my classes would have had more continuity and students would have seen the big picture more easily. I think knowing this now will prepare me for next semester and next year.
However, there have been successes this semester. I think I have emphasized the importance of students' preparing themselves for college. I tend to treat them like college students (in terms of my expecting them to be responsible). Students know that I care and that I am trying to get them to college.
In addition, I think I have been somewhat successful in trying to show students that reading can be fun. I have tried to show them that reading can relate to their own personal lives. This semester has been full of both successes and challenges, but I would argue that it has, as a whole, been a success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home