Saturday, April 01, 2006

Better Classes

Lately, I have noticed that classes are getting better. It seems that students are starting to act more like adults. I try to treat them as adults in hopes that they will live up to my expectations, and it appears that they are finally starting to come around. While I would love to take credit for the change in behavior, one significant factor comes into play...the approaching end of the year. In several weeks, school will be over and students will have two possibilities...pass or fail.
Although students joke around throughout the year, they know that to be left behind is to bring various hardships and frustrations upon themselves. Summer school isn't cheap, so the students are trying to make one final push to get themselves over the bar.
I realize that at the end of the year I will be faced with the task of passing/failing students, and I hope to be as fair as possible. I will do whatever I can to help students prepare for exams, but I cannot and will not give unearned grades. I look forward to the end of the year, but I also expect certain challenges.