Saturday, April 01, 2006

Leaving the Delta

Well, I have just about made it through one year in the Delta...What is the most important discovery that I've made? I've learned that the Mississippi Delta is not for me. Today I attended the Mississippi Teacher Fair (or whatever it's officially called), and I came away with future plans. I decided to leave Simmons High School (Hollandale) for various personal reasons. Most importantly, I decided that I am ready to move to a larger city. To those considering the Delta, you should know that it can be a very depressing place. Each person will make his/her experience what it will be, but I personally feel that I have to get out.
I am excited about my new job (that's right, I was offered a job today) at Wingfield High in Jackson. Although I will be teaching in a portable classroom, the change in setting is definitely worth it. Instead of teaching three subjects (English III, Drama, and Spanish I), I will only be teaching Spanish I.
Of course, there is a small downside to the good news. I will have to tell my principal as soon as possible, but I am a bit worried about the consequences. More specifically, I am worried that if students find out I am leaving, they might try to intentionally cause problems. Oh well, I guess I can't worry about problems that aren't there yet. For right now, I'm enjoying my final weeks and preparing for the move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home