Monday, June 26, 2006

Reflection of Summer School 2006

Summer school has been a tiring experience. Even though I haven’t taught much of this session, just going to Holly Springs requires a good bit of energy. I’ve tried to use the time to work on my online assignments, but I have to admit, I’ll be glad when this week is over. I can’t wait for the summer break.
I think the Holly Springs summer school idea was a good one, but it seems to benefit the Holly Springs/Marshall County students and 1st years in MTC a lot more than the 2nd years. I’m not saying everything is negative, it’s just that sometimes I feel like I’m getting dressed (professional dress) to leave Oxford at 6:45—only to sit around when I get to Holly Springs High School. I don’t really know of many solutions to the problem, but it just seems like I could be using this month more effectively.
It feels like we’re about to enter the final stretch of MTC. We only have one more semester of classes (and a materials portfolio), and we will have an M.A.! I think most of the 2nd years are excited that this month and our coursework are both almost done.
With a few adjustments, the summer school program at Holly Springs looks promising. However, I have been very disappointed with the online class we are taking. We basically read chapters from a book, summarize them, and participate in a message board. The message board is a good idea, but the rest of the work feels like busy work. Maybe in the future the program could work on this class. It hasn’t been as beneficial as I hoped.
I usually try to focus on the positive, but I feel that it is necessary to also acknowledge the negative aspects of the program. In this case, summer school has had both benefits and negative characteristics. Given the nature of MTC, I feel confident that the program will mold itself in the future to benefit all of those involved. With this summer being a totally new addition to the program (both summer school at HSHS and an online course for 2nd years), I think things went okay. It wasn’t perfect, but provides a good basis for the program’s future. I look forward to seeing how the program evolves over the next 12 months.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

The online course is a one time only class. Next year it will be a physical class tied to MTC.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home