Monday, June 26, 2006

Ridgeland vs. Jackson

I thought it would be appropriate to discuss what has been an issue over which I’m torn. I’m teaching in South Jackson this year, but I decided to live in Ridgeland (Madison County). To many people, this probably wouldn’t matter, but it seems to present a dilemma to me. As teachers, we need to be able to relate to our students and the problems they go through. Ridgeland, which is about 25 minutes away from Wingfield High School, is the total opposite of South Jackson. The schools in Madison County are some of the best in the state, and they include a virtually new Ridgeland High School. Ridgeland is one of the richer areas of the state, but inner-city Jackson students will have a lot more poverty.
I feel guilty about living in an area that differs vastly from where I will be teaching. One part of me questions whether that makes me a sellout, while the other says there’s nothing wrong with providing the best for yourself. The area I live in appears to be mostly white, while Wingfield is 95 % African American. I’m not sure what effects/insight that will produce when I enter the classroom.
Being optimistic about the possibilities, I hope to create some type of connection between my school and one from Madison County (hopefully Ridgeland High School). I think it would be beneficial to students from both schools to create some kind of dialogue. If they can begin to relate to each other inside the classroom, they will be more prepared for an increasingly diverse city, state, and nation. Maybe our Spanish club could meet with theirs for special events. I think it would be exciting for both students and teachers.
I think I’m actually more excited this year than I was this time last year. It’s probably because the Jackson area is a lot bigger than any cities I’ve ever lived in. I imagine that the students will have some of the same problems as in the Delta, but I know some will probably be different. It will be hard identifying with students from a bigger city, but I can’t wait to try.