Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A New Day—A New Experience

The new school year has started, and I’m at Wingfield High School in south Jackson. I left the Delta (Simmons High in Hollandale) in search of a new experience. So far, I’m definitely seeing a different side of education in Mississippi schools. Last year, poverty and teen pregnancy seemed to be noticeable characteristics; this year it’s gang culture and profanity. Fortunately, I feel like I’ve developed skills that help with my classroom management. As a result, I don’t feel like I’m as overwhelmed as last year. Of course, there are those days when I say to myself, “ I didn’t sign up to be a babysitter!” However, most days are good ones that inspire me.
The teaching load is a lot different this year; I only teach Spanish 1 this year, as opposed to Spanish 1, English 3, and Drama last year. I feel like I can prepare myself more adequately. Even though JPS has tons of district-wide rules, policies, and requests, I’m slowly finding ways to mold the Spanish classes to my personality. I’m not a big fan of block scheduling, but I have decided to make it work for me. I will use the first hour to discuss and practice grammar. We will use the last 30 minutes to analyze and discuss issues related to culture. Based on last year’s classes, I think topics such as bilingual education, the future of Cuba, and illegal immigration will be interesting and relevant to the students’ lives.
Probably the best part of being a 2nd year teacher is not being a 1st year teacher. I have more confidence in myself and in my abilities as a teacher. I think this confidence has an impact on the overall atmosphere of the classroom. I’m far from perfect, but I can definitely see myself getting better.
One last thing about my new experience is the irony of class size. In a school and district that’s heavily overcrowded ( a school originally built for 700 hundred but expecting 1300-1400 this year), I actually have small classes. My classes range between 18 and 24, and if things stay the same I’ll be counting my blessings. I definitely can’t complain this year because for the negatives, there are just as many positives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home