Sunday, November 05, 2006

Thoughts on Quitting

We were asked about any thoughts of quitting we might have had during the first year. Personally, this has been an issue that I only entertained to a certain extent. When we signed up for MTC, we didn't sign up to benefit ourselves (hopefully everyone feels that way). Because we signed up to benefit others, thoughts of quitting always seemed like they would hurt others to me. We took up spots in a program that could have easily selected qualified people to fulfill the two year commitment. To me, the program (and agreement to teach 2 yrs) was a promise we made. Now while I've quit other programs that would have benefited me, I don't think I could seriously consider quitting MTC. Sure, I got frustrated with the classwork for Ole Miss and the issues I saw at the schools, but quitting clearly would not have been in the best interest of my students. I once had a coach at a basketball camp tell us, "If you sign up for something saying you're gonna be there, be there." That definitely applies here because we made a promise, one that we should all keep. I would never criticize those who have chosen to leave the program for different reasons, but I feel like except in the case of a serious emergency, I personally would never quit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kunai-Gurl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kunai-Gurl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Kunai-Gurl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Kunai-Gurl said...

I really appreciate everything you have written here. I definitely agree with you about the type of commitment we made. While I do tend to consider quitting sometimes, especially during this first fall/winter season, I think you put it very nicely by saying that the students are not going to benefit from me leaving. However, I too do not want to say anything negative about those who did decide to leave. I have absolutely no idea what their reasons were, and I wish them the very best.
Anyways, thank you for putting your reasons so eloquently.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home