Sunday, December 03, 2006

Plans for Next Year

Here's a topic that many second years are probably thinking about right now. Personally, I have yet to come to a conclusion, but I am weighing my options. Here are the options I am considering at this point:
First, I'm considering moving to Miami to teach for a year. I have visited several times, and I know this would be an enjoyable city to live in. I believe that after a year, I will be going to get my M.B.A. (hopefully at a top-ranked school or the University of Miami--if I plan on staying there for a while).
I came to my second option after talking to Brian a week or two ago. He was telling me about the possibility of teaching in NYC, and now I'm really considering it. Since most of the M.B.A. programs I am most interested in are in the Northeast, this could be a practical option. I have visited New York twice, and it seems like one of the greatest cities in the U.S. Clearly, teaching in the public schools would be challenging, but I am also considering teaching in a charter or private school. It would be interesting to compare my experiences there to those of Frank McCourt in Teacher Man.
I guess the common idea between these two options is that I don't plan on teaching forever. One, or at most, two more years of teaching would be fun, but the past year and a half have reminded me of something I read...When your career starts to feel like a job, maybe it's time to reevaluate. I think that if I ever reach the point where I hate going to work, it will be time to change careers. Yes, teachers are needed, but teachers who want to be there are needed also. One of the saddest things is seeing teachers who have been there for twenty years, and are staying every year for a pay check.
Well, clearly the next few months I will be focused on making some big decisions. I've enjoyed teaching in the Delta and Jackson, but it's time to move on to a new part of my life. I've lived in Mississippi for 24 years now, and I'm ready to see what else the world has to offer. I hope to make a decision by the end of Christmas break...I will definitely have one made by Spring break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home